Breaking Up with My Tonsils (a Semi live-blog of my Recovery and Ramblings: Part 1)

Since I scheduled my tonsillectomy about two weeks ago I've been in denial about it. I've never had surgery of any kind before, so obviously I've been quite nervous. And until was laying in a bed with an IV in my arm I didn't believe it was happening. I decided to blog about this process because I have nothing better to do, and I've enjoyed reading others' accounts of their recovery.

Disclaimer: I'm taking pain pills. And because of that fact there may be poor grammar in this blog post, and I'm not sorry if I end up getting a few things wrong, I just defer to the pills.

Day 1. Today I said adios to those little turds. After 24 years of annoyance and misery I've finally broken up with my tonsils. The worst pain I felt today was right when I woke up after the surgery. Thankfully the nurse was happy to pump me full of some pain meds and I was equally happy to receive them. What I didn't expect was that I would be hungry. Although that really shouldn't be a shock because I love eating. So three cups of applesauce and one Gatorade later I got to go home.
I really had no intense pain today so I painted my toes, ate more applesauce and went to sleep.

Day 2. Aside from waking up in the middle of the night to take my pain meds, I've been doing pretty well. My jaw feels a bit tighter today and my ears have started bothering me but nothing ridiculous yet. Not going to lie, my throat looks really weird with gaping holes in the back. I'm usually wanting more pain meds after about 3 hours of taking one, but I tough it out one more hour to meet the minimum time required between doses. Really it was quite an uneventful day; applesauce, mashed potatoes, meds, nap, repeat. However, according to the oh-so-trusty internet, the pain is going to get worse. I'm really not looking forward to that. I feel as though I've been lulled into some false sense of "pain security." But i'm doing everything I can to make my little mouth as happy as possible. Lots of fluids, sleeping with a humidifier and oil diffuser, resting, and not talking. I talked too much yesterday and have been pretty good today with keeping the chit chat to a minimum. And on that note, I'm going to kill 30 minutes until I can take my pills and go to sleep.



Post a Comment


Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author